Monday 1 April 2013

What's Your Risk?

I mentioned in an earlier post about my time away recently with my church family. Something else which was posed to us whilst there was the question "what is your risk?"

I imagine that this challenged people in a multitude of ways. Some were prompted to step forwards and share with the rest of us. Others turned inwards, became reflective and simply sat. My husband's risk was offering to pray for his boss's daughter who is extremely poorly when he returned to work.


As soon as the words left the Pastor's (I'm positive he won't appreciate this title but needs must!) mouth I felt God drop my 'risk' into my heart. I knew and understood it without even a moments hesitation as it's something I've been wondering and considering for some time.


What was it, I hear you ask?


This.


Me sitting here, writing and sharing this.


Allowing people a look in on my walk of faith.


I am a brilliant compartmentalist.  Every aspect of my life is separated within my brain.  Every role I take on has it's place.  That isn't to say that I'm a different person (much!) in every role and I always aim to be honest about my beliefs with anyone who asks but I'm not forthcoming about it.  I don't talk much about my christian life unless it's prompted.  Even within my church family my contributions are controlled and measured.  For me to be open would be IS a risk.


Publishing this blog on my personal social media networks invites people to look, people who probably wouldn't come into contact with my faith otherwise.  Linking it with my family life blog with it's growing readership is running the risk of slowing that or even losing some regular visitors.


But, I believe that writing is one of my gifts (and one I've discounted until recently) and to not write, about anything, would be to stop God using my gifts for His greater purpose.


Risks cost.  That's well known.  The question really is whether you are willing to pay the price for the bigger picture.


I can't say what the outcome of this risk will be.  There may be loss.  There may be injury to my pride.  I may feel nervous about clicking 'publish', but I have to trust God, that this is just a tiny part of something so much bigger than me.


Even this morning I was still debating over whether to publish this post and whilst scanning over my twitter timeline I saw a quote come up which served as a massive encouragement that sometimes you just have to take that step.




(I'm really learning at the moment that God is always trying to speak to us, even when we're completely unaware of it!)

Then I was reminded of this verse, for days when taking that step seems like it's the hardest thing in the world:

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18 v 2 

What better safety net could we ask for when stepping out into a world of risk?

I don't have any pearls of wisdom to tie this post up nicely I'm afraid.  Just this challenge: what is your risk?  Take some time today to consider it and be encouraged to go for it!

Following the 'unveiling' of my first post on this blog I received some totally unexpected feedback.  A handful of people got in touch with words of encouragement, people I would never expect to read and respond.  Had I not started down this road of risk I would never have seen those messages.  It makes me excited for what else could be on it's way!

1 comment:

  1. Great that you've taken your risk, Jess. God will honour what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete