Friday 12 April 2013

Here {Five Minute Friday}

Five Minute Friday

It's been a busy little week and I haven't had any chance at all to sit down at the computer and write but I didn't want to miss out on Five Minute Friday as I am really starting to enjoy the freedom of writing whatever comes to mind. 

So, if you don't know what Five Minute Friday is, here's what you do:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat on the prompt with no editing, tweaking or self critiquing.
2. Link back and invite others to join in.
3. Go and tell the person who linked up before you what their words meant to you. Every writer longs to feel heard.

This week's theme is Here

GO!

Last Sunday our Pastor was talking to us about restoration, about God's ultimate plan for our lives and he said something which has stuck in my mind all week, "God isn't forgetful, he doesn't leave us outside alone"...in other words, He is Here.  Always.  Right now wherever you are.  God is there.

Sometimes it can be so so easy to forget that.  I do it all the time and never fail to be surprised when God reveals that he has been present all along. 

At the moment my husband is looking for another job.  He wants to stay in a similar line of work but do something a bit different, something with better hours so that he can spend more time with us as a family instead of leaving the house at 6.15am every morning and not getting home until after 6pm.  Unfortunately though he's been struggling to find a job.  Companies want to employ him, just doing the same work that he is doing now which isn't what he's after.

Last month a great opportunity came up which opened our eyes to the different kinds of work he could do.  We were so excited, feedback from his interview was really great and we started to get a bit ahead of ourselves making plans about how our lives would be vastly different.  Then he didn't get the job.  Which sucked.  Not only that, he has spent the last month hitting his head against the wall not getting any other prospective job interviews.

I actually made the comment to him last week, after hearing some good news about a friend (I know, I need to learn to be a bit more gracious!) "why does it feel like everybody else is getting opportunities and we are just stuck?"

You think I would have learned after the last time I started making sweeping statements and writing situations off that God just doesn't work like that.  He must get very fed up watching me chase my tail around for an hour or so and then exclaiming that I've had enough, instead of simply trusting that he hasn't forgotten us.  That he is with us always and has our best interests at heart. 

Because, this week, my husband has had several job opportunities present themselves.  Much better job opportunities.  One in particular would be so beyond perfect that I daren't even get my hopes up for a second, just in case.  But it really proves to me once again that all I need to do is trust in God.  I am such a 'here and now' person that I struggle with trusting that it's all in hand.  I want to know what the next step is, what will it look like, when will it happen, how will I know etc etc 

It's something I'm working on at the moment!  And God keeps on with me.  I get in a muddle, finally remember that I'm not working in my own strength and then God opens the doors for us.  If only I could remember that in the first place I think our lives would be a good deal less stressful!!

So, my lesson for the week: God has not forgotten me, you or anybody else.  He is here. 

STOP!

8 comments:

  1. Yes! He's in the middle of it all, isn't He, Jess ...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey sounds similar to ours. Over the last two years my husband went from employed to unemployed to under-employed to his current position that provides our needs. It was a leap of trust for me. It is good to know that God is with us regardless of our location and our circumstances. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I can so relate to this post and the struggle trusting God. My husband and I are about to relocate because. He was in job search mode for a couple of months. Praying that God leads you both to exactly where He want you to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Great post. Really great. I actually wrote mine about an hour ago from a similar viewpoint.
    Thanks for sharing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had the same sermon by the sound of it and I was talking to a friend about trust. I said I was standing on God's promises but hanging on by my finger tips sometimes. She said trust is like faith; we need to have a mustard seed size amount to keep us connected before we can jump off the mountain

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your image of God watching us chase our tails. Do you think he's as amused as we are when we watch our dogs chase their tails.

    Glad your road is smoothing out.

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete